We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: A job interview is NOT the time to catch up on your sleep, or try to have sex. But people just keep on trying.
The staffing company OfficeTeam surveyed HR managers around the country, and asked for the DUMBEST question they had a candidate ask them during an interview in the past year. Here are our ten favorites.
#10.) “Can I have a desk near the cafeteria?”
#9.) “How soon can I take my first vacation?”
#8.) “Do you allow midday naps?”
#7.) “Do you want to take a ride in my new car?”
#6.) “Can you help me take the employment test?”
#5.) “What job is this for?”
#4.) “What are the women who work here like?”
#3.) “Is the boss single?”
#2.) “Can I have three weeks off every month to pursue my music career?”
#1.) “Would you consider going on a date with me?”
And let’s balance this out, because they also asked about what questions you SHOULD ask at an interview, and the list was helpful to me.
- While researching your firm, I learned the company recently [fill in the blank]. How does this affect your current strategy?
- Can you describe a typical workday for a person in this role?
- What skills and attributes are most important for success in this role?
- How would you describe the work environment here?
- Why is this position open?
- What is the typical career path for someone in this position?
- What do you enjoy most about working here?
- What are the next steps in the hiring process?