We all love rewriting our past so that it sounds like we had it tougher than our kids. But you can only tell the “I had to walk 15 miles to school” story so many times before everyone tunes out.
Here’s a list provided by teenagers themselves about how strict their parents are…suddenly your mom and dad look like softies…or maybe not.
Reddit has a “teenagers” sub-reddit where kids can talk amongst themselves about, well, being a teenager. Included in the discussions was this topic, “Who has the strictest parent?” And suddenly, I’m not such a bad guy.
Here’s some of the highlights:
1. No watching TV alone.
2. [I am] forced to wear dresses.
3. No eating meat.
4. No watching cable television.
5. No watching any movie over a PG rating.
6. No having friends over.
7. If I leave the house, I have to send a text to my mom every hour to update her.
8. I’m not allowed to spend any of my own money.
9. Not allowed to stay up past 10:30, even though it’s summer vacation.
10. No sitting with my door closed.
11. Not allowed to read Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket.
12. I’m not allowed to listen to much of the mainstream music out there.
13. Now I’m taking tutoring lessons over the summer for all subjects I didn’t get an A in … because I got a B.
14. My mom assigned her own summer homework.
15. No going anywhere without a parent present.
So how do these rules stack up against some of the rules YOU had to deal with growing up? Are these tougher than the “old days”? Or are these weak compared to what you had to overcome.
The one thing that sticks out here is the lack of chores and work related posts, but maybe I didn’t dig deeper, or maybe there’s a different posting for that.